Group B: Draw enough for Tunisia and DR Congo

Published On 27/01/2015 | By AFS Staff | AFCON, Africa, Cape Verde, DR Congo, International, Latest News, Top Stories, Tunisia, Zambia

DR Congo and Tunisia both advanced to the quarter-finals of the Africa Cup of Nations after 1-1 stalemate in their final Group B game in Bata.

Truth be told, the final matches in the group were not spectacular but the Tunisians started the day on top knowing that win would be enough to get them through. Striker Ahmed Akaichi headed home in the 31st minute before DR Congo pulled level in the 66th minute when substitute Loteteka Bokila scored moments after coming on.

Tunisa had controlled proceedings from the start but with only one goal to show for it, DR Congo always had a route back into the game.

Akaichi opened the scoring for The Carthage Eagles with his head before subsitute Jeremy Bokila rescued a point for The Leopards. DR Congo booked a place in the knockout stages for the first time since 2006 on goals scored with a record sixth Afcon draw in a row.

The result sees Tunisia set up a quarter-final clash with hosts Equatorial Guinea in Ebebiyin, while DR Congo will stay in Bata to face neighbours Congo Brazzaville.

Cape Verde, Zambia eliminated

In a dour match hit by a tropical storm, Cape Verde and 2012 winners Zambia crashed out of the Africa Cup of Nations after a goalless draw in their final Group B game in Ebebiyín on Monday.

Cape Verde went into the game in second place but finished level on points and goal difference with Congo DR, with the latter advancing on goals scored.

The Chipolopolos of Zambia went into the game knowing they had to win to have any chance of going through but they never created a clear-cut chance to take the three points.

The weather in truth didn’t help as torrential rain, thunder, lighting and strong winds led to puddles developing on the pitch and it seemed the game could be postponed.

Poor finishing from Evans Kangwa and Mukuka Mulenga late on meant Zambia were unable to break the deadlock.

Both keepers were called into action as the two sides desperately pushed for a winner as the clock ticked, but it was in vain as their fate was confirmed after the final whistle.



Comments are closed.